Castles & Landmarks
Home of the Duke of Sutherland, who was not widely liked by his fellow Scots for inflicting harsh clearance policy on them; Dunrobin Castle provides an opportunity to see how the aristocracy lived. The fairytale castle is open to the public and the rooms made available on the tour route are interesting and beautifully presented. The formal gardens spread below the castle and down to the shoreline.
The exciting new Culloden Battlefield visitor centre and exhibition opened in December 2007.Participate in daily Living History presentations which bring the battle to life. Make use of the centre’s modern, environmentally friendly facilities. Enjoy the restaurant with a range of dishes to suit all. Purchase a Culloden branded memento from the enhanced range of gifts available at the shop, to remind you of your visit. Book the dedicated facilities for education meetings, research, presentations, seminars, product launches and functions.
Nigg Old church
The eighth-century Pictish cross-slab at Nigg is one of Scotland’s greatest art treasures. Admired and studied by scholars all over the world, its ornamental cross resembles a manuscript page. The fantastic intricacy of the carving, the whirlpools of spirals, and the heaped up knot of snakes, with tails and tongues endlessly intertwining, is only paralleled in the illuminations of the great Gospel-Book of Kells, made at the island monastery of Iona.
Edderton Cross-Slab by Tain
This handsome Pictish cross-slab has crosses on both sides. Below one is the beautifully carved figure of a man on horseback.
Located in the centre of the town, Dornoch’s cathedral dates from the early thirteenth century. It was founded by the Bishop of Caithness, Gilbert de Moravia, in 1224. The first service was held in 1239 but it would be another few years before the construction of the tower and transepts was completed. Bishop Gilbert died in 1245 and because he had been funding the construction himself it could have taken the town many decades or even centuries to raise the money necessary to build the nave and complete the project. Some time after his death Bishop Gilbert was canonised and became Saint Gilbert.
We were looking for a venue to celebrate our respective 70th and 75th birthdays. As a family of descendants of Surgeon Major William Brydon, the sole survivor of the massacre of Jellalabad, Britain's first disastrous foray into Afghanistan, we were in the midst of reading two recent books on the subject, John Cunningham's "The Last Man" and William Dalrymple's "Return of a King", we idly 'googled' Pitcalzean House, the home to which the Brydons retired after leaving India. To our surprise and delight, it was available for holiday rent and so, an idea was born. The owners, the Fillers could not have been more helpful. Fiona was full of advice, not only regarding the house but also putting us in touch with an excellent chef to cater for some of the meals and a brilliant trio who organised a Ceilidh. For a gathering of a very widespread family (France, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Oman and even England) it was the perfect venue, comfortable ,extensive and with plenty of room and activities inside and out for all ages. Not only the property but the whole region is charming and, for us, full of family history. We cannot recommend it more highly for such a gathering. Bruce & Jenny Lawson (Great, great granddaughter of William Brydon)”
About Pitcalzean House
This large self-catering property is available for exclusive use. Pitcalzean House is a Georgian House with a distinguished past. It is one of the finest large properties available to rent on the NC500. This self-catering property in the Scottish Highlands is available and is perfect for large groups, family holidays or reunions. The property is available as a corporate meeting venue in the North of Scotland. Pitcalzean House is a Georgian House available as a Wedding Venue.
You will get a personal co-ordinator to help with the catering, hold your own ceilidh and help reccomend local activities. Pitcalzean House is a large property available for exclusive use which sleeps up to 38 in the house and cottage.
With its own party barn this property is ideal as an exclusive party venue.